Friday, October 6, 2017

RENE DENFELD

Rene is the author of the acclaimed novels The Child Finder and The Enchanted. Her essays have appeared in publications such as the New York Times. Her new literary thriller, The Child Finder, explores themes of survival, resiliency and redemption. It has received much acclaim, including a starred Library Journal review, major press, and an Indie Next pick. Landing as the #1 fiction bestseller at Powell's within its first week, The Child Finder became a top 10 bestseller in Canada and a bestseller in the U.S. 

Rene's lyrical, beautiful writing is inspired by her work with sex trafficking victims and innocents in prison. She was the Chief Investigator at a public defender’s office and has worked hundreds of cases. In addition to her advocacy work, she has been a foster adoptive parent for 20 years. Rene will be awarded the Break The Silence Award at the 24th Annual Knock Out Abuse Gala in Washington, DC, on November 2, 2017, in recognition for her advocacy and social justice work.  The child of a difficult history herself, she is an accomplished speaker who loves connecting with others. Rene lives in Portland, Oregon, where she is the happy mom of three kids adopted from foster care.  

I read your beautiful piece in “Modern Love,” about finding your foster children and am very moved by your commitment to love and success as a mother. Having read all else that you are involved with additionally, I’m also in awe of your boundless energy. Did you know you were a writer before you became a mother? How have you managed to integrate all that you do as a mother, investigator working with lost children, and worker in prisons with your writing career?

When I was young I escaped into imagination to survive severe abuse. The library was my sanctuary, and from the stories there I learned how to tell myself stories. I made up a fantasy world that I escaped into for months at a time. But I didn't think someone from a background of poverty could be a novelist. Eventually I went into journalism, but it wasn't until my 40s I started writing fiction. Once I started writing my first novel I knew that was what I was always meant to do. 

It's true I have a very full plate! I have a day job as an investigator; I have three kids I adopted from foster care—and I've fostered others; and I have written and published two novels. I'm someone who thrives on being active, and to be honest, my career inspires me. I feel so lucky to be helping others. It gives me endless juice and inspiration to keep going. I feel lucky to have adopted my kids, too. When people tell them they are lucky I interrupt to say no, I am the lucky one. Through my kids I got to experience a healthy, happy childhood. I got to take part in their journey to healing. What could be better than that? 

One of the struggles for mothers, I think, is we get messages we shouldn't prioritize our writing. We spend so much time taking care of others we forget to take care of ourselves, including our artistic and creative spirit. So I make sure to set aside time to write. I let the chores go, I don't try to keep a perfect house, and yes, the kids eat junk food. I embrace imperfection and let myself be a good-enough mom in order to write. It turned out to be the best choice for the kids. I don't have time to get all up in their business, and they have learned to be responsible and supportive. They are proud of me and I am proud of them. We're a happy clan.

Your first book, The Enchanted, is described as combining magic and evil and is set in a prison. I’m assuming it was inspired by your prison work. What specifically moved you to write it? Is it about the redemptive ways the human mind deals with terror? If so, what kinds of terrors do you feel a kinship with and why?

At the time I wrote my The Enchanted I was working a lot of death penalty cases. I have exonerated innocent people out of prison, and stopped executions. When you see the news that over 250 innocent people have been exonerated out of death rows, that's the work of investigators like me. We like to joke the attorneys take all the credit, ha. 

The inspiration for the novel came one day as I was leaving the death row prison in our state. It's an ancient stone prison built in 1846. I was leaving one day, hearing the gates slam behind me, when I heard a very soft, distinctive voice say "this is an enchanted place." I went right home and started writing that evening. 

I was moved by all the things I had witnessed and was learning working death row cases: the harms we can commit, the goodness we are capable of, the way redemption can spring from the most unlikely of soils. The Enchanted explores our strength and ability to survive even in the most horrific of circumstances. It's about the preventable causes of violence. It turned out to be a love song to the world, a song of hope. It was about finding beauty in the pain. 

Looking back, I can now see my first novel was also about me "coming out" as an abuse survivor. Until that point I had not publicly admitted my own abuse history. The Enchanted was so nakedly about my own journey I realized I had told my story to the world. It was after it came out I began being more open about my own history, including writing about the man I considered my father, a registered predatory sex offender. I began talking more about how I had taken my hardship and turned it into strength by helping others. 

Please discuss The Child Finder, your second novel. Is it a fairytale? What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

The Child Finder is being called a literary thriller. The Library Journal called it "a glittering gem of a story, part mystery, part fairy tale, and all white-knuckled, edge of your seat thriller." It's a real page turner, but also a deeply literary, thoughtful novel. It follows a young female investigator who specializes in finding missing children. The novel follows her as she looks for a missing eight-year-old girl. Her point of view is juxtaposed with that of a magical child who tells herself fairy tales to survive. 

It's an examination of trauma and how we can survive through our imaginations. It's a book about female courage, and it really pushes back against the shameful messages around sexual abuse; that we are forever damaged or destroyed, because that just doesn't have to be true. It shows how much we can do to save each other, and that the path towards healing and recovery is about embracing one another for all we have experienced—not despite our trauma, but including our trauma. One of the key phrases from the novel is "it is never too late to be found." I believe that. The longer I do my work, the more I help my kids, the more I believe we all deserve to be saved. We all have the power to save each other.

Please discuss in whatever way you wish the role of healing in the art of writing.

What a great question! Writing—and reading—can heal us. If you think about it, the act of writing is an act of courage. It is a statement of self. It says, "I have the right to create a story. I exist. I can tell my own truth." By writing our stories, memoir or fictional, we lay claim to our place in the universe. We demand to be heard, we voice our rights to be heard. Writing is a profoundly courageous, healing act. As readers, we can then bear witness to one another. So story acts as a communication, linking us, informing each other of who we really are, in purer, more honest ways.


                                                              RENE DENFELD
                                                              photo by Gary Norman





No comments:

Post a Comment